Rules of the Bus
These rules are designed for passenger and driver safety and for the efficient performance of the CCPT bus system. If you fail to comply with any of the following rules, the bus driver has the authority to ask you to leave the bus and/or deny you admittance to the bus.
- Use caution around CCPT vehicles.
Unlike stopped schools buses, New York State law allows drivers to pass public transit vehicles. A driver may not see you if you are trying to cross the road near a large vehicle such as a bus. Please wait for the CCPT bus to depart before crossing the road.
- Board the bus in an orderly fashion.
Do not walk into the drive lane to get to the bus stop. Do not bang on the side of the bus. If you are in a crowd of people who all want to board the bus, do not push or shove.
- Travel light.
With the exception of foldable strollers, you may not bring more bags or personal items onto the bus than you can fit on your lap while seated. CCPT drivers cannot help load or unload your personal items. For safety reasons, bicycles may not be stored inside the bus. We are making every effort to equip all of our vehicles with exterior bicycle racks. Use of our bike racks is free of charge.
- Items prohibited:
- Firearms, knives, and other weapons are not allowed on the bus.
- Do not bring used syringes, illegal drugs, open containers of alcohol, car batteries, flammable liquids, or any other potentially dangerous items onto the bus.
- Do not bring trash or items for recycling onto the bus.
- Except for service animals protected under the American Disability Act (ADA), you may not bring an animal onto the bus unless it is kept in a pet carrier small enough to fit on your lap.
- Be safe.
- Do not try to move about the bus while it is in motion.
- Do not unnecessarily distract the drivers. This includes unnecessary chatting with the driver and arguing with other passengers.
- Do not scream, yell, throw anything, or create loud noises.
- Do not play music unless you are using headphones with the volume low so nobody else will hear it.
- Do not throw any objects while on the bus or cause any objects or body limbs to go out the bus windows.
- Be sanitary.
- No smoking, eating or drinking is allowed on the bus.
- Do not litter on the bus.
- Do not board the bus if you have exposed wounds; bodily emissions and exposed bodily fluids are not allowed on the bus.
- Do not perform any personal hygiene tasks while on the bus
- Be courteous.
- Follow the drivers' instructions; they are for everyone's safety.
- Illegal activities, gambling, disorderly conduct, and vandalism are not allowed on the bus.
- Respect other passengers.
- Solicitation of goods or services is not allowed on the bus.
- Fare is mandatory. Customers must pay each time they board the bus. No exceptions.
- Arrive at the bus stop at least 5 minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive and ensure you are in a location that is visible to the driver.
- Please keep in mind, times listed in the schedule are our best estimates, traffic and weather conditions may affect actual times.
- Please have exact change for passes and transfers as drivers cannot make change.
- Be aware of the routes and its times for the journey that you are taking.
- Check the destination sign or ask the driver if you have the correct bus.
- Reserve the front seat for seniors and passengers with disabilities.
- Refrain from smoking, eating or drinking on the bus.
- Limit packages to what you can carry and keep strollers and other items out of the aisle. CCPT drivers cannot help load or unload bags, strollers, and other packages.
- We apologize for any inconvenience, but for safety reasons, bicycles may not be stored inside the bus. We are making every effort to equip all of our vehicles with new bike racks.
- Parental guidance is strongly recommended for young children.
- Please do no unnecessarily distract the drivers, as it will compromise the safety of everyone traveling aboard the bus.
- Dress for the weather! While we do our best to arrive at your pick up and destinations according to the schedule; weather, road and other unforeseen conditions can cause delays.
- If you are riding the bus near dawn or dusk, please wear light colored clothing and carry a reflector of flashlight so that the driver can see you.
- Keep a copy of the bus schedules and routes with you, at work or home- they are a valuable reference and throwing them away creates waste.
- Help keep the buses clean, please remove all litter when you leave the bus.